I had a special guest in my classroom today. Phil is here visiting from Santa Barbara and it is so fun!! We just finished jamming in our apartment with Melissa on the keyboard, Kate on the harp, Phil on the guitar, and me singing Portuguese (??? Phil's request). Our finished product was "sick!" as Phil would say. We had a lot of fun. Why did we never try that before?
Here are some highlights from his visit to Dixon Middle School today:
- During second period, he successfully solved the Rubiks Cube in 36 seconds for my show choir students.
- My show choir wanted to sing through their Disney Medley. They especially enjoyed, "Kiss the Girl," which the girls boldly directed to you-know-who. They changed the lyrics to, "Go on and kiss Ms. Houston!" Shameless.
- In my students' little minds, the fact that Phil and I are both single and breathing makes us perfectly compatible. We gave the kids three questions to ask Phil. Twice, I had students ask, "Did you ever have a crush on Ms. Houston?" Phil told them he did and they were floored. They were simply gleeful. In the cafeteria, one student pulled me aside and said, "You have a husband!!" Wow.
- The P.E. teacher needed someone to take pictures of her students playing ultimate frisbee for an end of the year slide show. I just happened to have an incredible photographer visiting with me at Dixon today, so he went during sixth period and got some fantastic shots.
- At the end of the day, one of my more outspoken students from last semester came in and said, "Who's subbing for you today?" When I told her it was my friend, she said, "Oh, because everyone was saying he's really hot." Phil was definitely sitting there the entire time and she knew it.
It was a little intimidating to have Phil there, especially when I had trouble keeping my sweet little students focused. I had a boy turn off the lights about four times in a row between classes. Phil being there definitely kept me on my toes!